St. John's came into being in 1894 when a group of German immigrants asked a neighboring minister, Rev. William Vollbrecht, to come to Burton and help a dozen interested families start the church.
Rev. Volbrecht helped organize the founding fathers, in the home of Herman Knittle (a Burton merchant), in 1894.
That year, the Rev. Herman Specht was chosen as pastor and a church building was erected on land purchased from August and Amalia Pfefferkorn.
The church cemetery was established in the early 1900's.
A new brick sanctury was built in 1951.
The congregation changed it's name twice in it's history because of denominational mergers.
Originally, St. John's Evangelical, it changed to St. John's Evangelical and Reformed in 1934.
In 1957, the merger of the E&R church with the Congregational Christian churches, caused the name to change to St. John's United Church of Christ.
The name causes some confusion with the "Church of Christ" here in the South, but the abundance of musical instruments, and the strong ecumenical flavor of the UCC quickly remind folks of the difference.
Christian Education has been a major priority for the church and today there are classes for all ages every Sunday morning, and offerings during the week.
A new Family Life Center provides great educational and fellowship space for the church and the community.
The congregation continues to support a wide variety of local, national and foreign outreach programs.
To learn more about the
United Church of Christ visit their website with the link below
Rev. Darrin Holub, a native of Weimar, Texas began serving as the Senior Pastor at St. John's on July 1, 2019.
He is a graduate of Bangor Theological Seminary and was ordained on April 30, 2000.
Prior to being called into the ministry he served in the United States Army.
His previous calls included serving Lyons Evangelical UCC/Friedens UCC (yoked congregations) and Christ United Church of Cypress.
Pastor Darrin has been married to his wife Kim for over twenty five years and they have two sons and two grandchildren.
In his spare time he enjoys fishing and baseball.
Suzanne Kessler is a retired teacher who lives on a farm near Burton.
She is married with 3 children and 2 grandchildren.
She has been a Sunday School Teacher for over 20 years.
Suzanne loves her job as a Church Secretary.
Media Production, Website Administration
Dean Fuchs - President
Clyde Englebrecht - Vice President
James Press - Secretary
Co-Treasurer Ann Pape (Ex-Officio)
Co-Treasurer Larry Winklemann (Ex-Officio)